An outdoor brick patio is a beautiful thing in the summertime — family and friends can gather and enjoy the scenery and the warm color of the brick creates a comforting environment. But in the wintertime, the harsh weather can sometimes cause brick patios to chip, crack, or wear down faster than it should, and this is especially true when the material isn’t properly cared for.
At Oasis Outdoor Living, we provide thin brick veneer that can be used in a variety of areas in your home or outdoor living space. Brick veneer can add a unique look to many spaces and is a cost-effective way to freshen up the look of living rooms, entryways, driveways, retaining walls, walkways, and patios. The trick is to care for them properly so that they will look just as beautiful as when it was first installed.
Before the winter gets too severe, here are a few tips to ensure that your brick patio is well taken care of so that you can continue enjoying it for years to come.
Keep Them Clean
Just like any patio material, regular cleaning can go a long way in ensuring that the product remains strong and beautiful.
- Sweeping: This is an important step during the summer and fall when leaves and other debris pile up and can chip the edges of the brick. Frequent sweeping will keep the surface clean from dirt and using a product like cat litter can help with larger spills and oils.
- Power Washing: When it’s time to give your brick patio a thorough cleaning, you may want to consider power washing. It may be best to have a professional do this for you, though, as power washing can also damage the surface of brick veneer when the pressure is too high.
- Use the Right Products: When keeping your brick clean, it’s important to use the right products, such as sandblasters and harsh chemicals. These can wear away the surface of the brick and lead to a higher risk of water damage in the future.
Prevent Chipping When Shoveling
If you’re using thin brick veneer for a driveway or walkway, shoveling can be one of the most harmful tasks. Shovels, even softer plastic ones, can still ship away at corners of the brick, causing them to be more susceptible to damage. When possible, use a snowblower to remove the snow. If you must shovel, find one with a rubber edge that will limit the amount of damage that can be done.
Sealing your brick patio may be one of the most important things you can do to protect the material. Sealing brick should be done at least every two years, right after it’s given a good cleaning. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Keeps the surface clean
- Prevents weeds, moss, and mold from growing
- Resists UV rays
- Protects from the cycle of freezing and thawing
- Prevents insects from harming the brick
- Strengthens and protects the brick
- Keeps the brick looking new
Even with the best maintenance, chips and cracks can still occur when things are dropped on the patio, for example, or when sealing is done incorrectly and mold or weeds start growing in between bricks. The first sign of a brick wearing down or when a corner is chipped should be taken care of as soon as possible. This is especially important for when things start growing, as it will only continue to spread and can ultimately damage the entire patio.
If you’re looking to remodel your outdoor living space, shop at oasis Outdoor Living for thin brick veneer, outdoor kitchen appliances, fire pits, and more. Our products are of the highest quality and can transform any space in or outside of your home.